A couple months ago I was over at my moms house and Annie was running around and being kind of loud. Mason was on the couch quietly watching a show. My mom laughed and said "Annie is a little firecracker. And Mason is the steady rock." I thought it was really funny because it's totally true.
Mason is my quiet, shy, observant child. Annie is my noisy, dramatic, outgoing child. Both of these descriptions are a little extreme because both kids can be the other way as well. For example, Mason can be hyper and crazy, but just when he's comfortable and in his element. And then Annie can be very quiet and observant as well, especially in new surroundings. But overall, they are different and they complement each other very well. It's fun.
Annie will burst out in song in the middle of a store and could care less who hears. She literally stands in front of me and does this thing where she jumps up and down as fast as I've ever seen a 1 year old do when she's excited....that or a fast running in place deal that is hilarious. A ball of energy. When we go on walks, while Mason is relaxing in the stroller, Annie is walking alongside. She is up first in the morning singing or talking to herself while Mason patiently tries to continue sleeping. (They share a room.) If a new visitor comes to the house, Annie has no problem grabbing a book and plopping herself on their lap to be read to. From day one in nursery at church, Annie walked right in and didn't even notice that Chris left her alone.
Mason is a great big brother. He's very patient with Annie. It's got to be hard to be the older child sometimes because while Annie's learning the hard lesson of sharing and learning not to freak out when she doesn't get her way, he needs to be the good example and then sometimes has to give up things for the sake of making his little sister happy. While he loves having people over and visitors in general, it takes him time to warm up to them. He laughs at Annie's silliness in public and looks at me with a funny expression (rolls his eyes, shakes his head, and smiles as if to say "Oh Annie.") and then usually joins in with what ever crazy act she's up to.
Though at times they fight over toys and get on each other's nerves like you wouldn't believe, at the end of the day, these two have great laugh attacks together and truly love each other. I know Mason is always going to look after his little sister. When they don't know where the other one is, they are concerned and ask me where the other one is. They keep us busy and make us laugh every day. Our little firecracker and our steady rock. :-)

Your kids are so cute! I love that I feel like I know them more than I really do just from reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteI think Adelaide is my firecracker and Maverick will turn out to by a steady rock like Mason... but time will tell with him I guess.