The kids on an awesome slide at the new park we discovered.
As we were getting into the car to go home at about 8:30 PM, Mason threw up all over himself and his car seat. It completely surprised us. We had no idea he was sick. Usually, when Mason throws up, it's a one time deal and he feels much better afterwards. Well, this time he kept saying he was going to throw up again and again and that his tummy hurt really bad. Poor little guy. After getting him and his seat cleaned up as well as we could for the half hour drive home, he threw up more on the way home and then fell asleep.
Once we got home, he threw up more and we could not get him away from the toilet. We were barely able to give him a bath. We got the kids in bed and he got up a couple times in the middle of the night to throw up and even in the morning it continued. We were getting really worried about him. Sunday morning I called the doctor and learned that he had gastroenteritis, aka, the stomach flu, and that it is totally going around and very contagious. Great. On Sunday I learned that my sister's daughter, London, threw up Saturday night as well. Mason and London are in the same preschool class.
On Monday, Mason threw up once in the morning and we couldn't get him away from a throw up bag so we had to cancel his parent/teacher conference for preschool that day. We learned that over half the preschool class was throwing up Saturday night just like Mason. Yuck. Monday evening we needed to do something fun so we decided to decorate early this year for Christmas. Mason was so excited despite the stomach flu. The kids were in heaven. Yay!
The kids surrounded by our Christmas decorations.
So Tuesday morning at 3:00 AM I woke up with the worst heartburn of my life (I am 21 weeks pregnant). It was so bad I could not even try to sleep and Tums did nothing so I came downstairs to watch TV to hopefully take my mind off of the awful heartburn. I decided to try one more Tums because it was just too uncomfortable to do anything, even just sit there. That's when my stomach started killing me and right as I swallowed that darn Tums, I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. I thought, "No! I got it!" Not really surprising considering we were told that it was super contagious and I had been with Mason constantly. Needless to say, it was a rough, rough night.
Tuesday was an awful day. Mason was still trying to get well, I was now on my death bed, Chris was at work (luckily he was able to go in late because he needed to take Mason to his pre-op appointment that morning which there was no way I could go to, and he was able to get off a little early-thank goodness), and I was constantly worried that Annie would get this flu any time.
Wednesday I was feeling better, Mason seemed pretty normal except for the fact that he became addicted to carrying around a throw up bag, which started getting on my nerves, and some time earlier in the week, Annie picked up an awful cough. However, by Wednesday, since we were all doing pretty good, we had high hopes of being able to celebrate a normal Thanksgiving at Chris' parents house the next day.
Thursday morning, Annie seemed a little off. Nothing too obvious, but just not her normal happy self. Something wasn't right but we brushed it off, determined to have a good Thanksgiving. She was trying to be happy and normal but I knew something was up. After a lazy morning with Chris making some delicious french toast, we headed up to Ramona. It felt SO good to be out of the house! The kids fell asleep on the way up. Once we got there, Annie was still not her happy self. Normally she'd be SO excited to see her cousins but she was a sad little lump. We went inside and that's when I felt her head, and it was burning hot. Poor girl had a fever. I was worried she'd throw up at the house and worried she'd spread the illness so Annie and I went straight home and left Chris and Mason to enjoy Thanksgiving. (They got home later with Chris' parents car.)
Well, after 6 days of sickness, I had had it and had a pity party for myself and cried most of the way home. I know it really wasn't that big of a deal, but in the moment, I was SO TIRED of me and my kids being sick that I couldn't help the annoying tears. Annie whimpered and said her tummy hurt and that she wanted to go home, the whole way home. I was shocked that she didn't throw up.
Annie and I on the couch when we got home.
Once we were home, I snapped out of it and we cuddled on the couch and watched her new favorite Netflix show "Lalaloopsy Land" and it was actually very relaxing. It was nice lying there cuddling with her with nothing to worry about. Chris brought me home a nice plate of yummy Thanksgiving food, which I really appreciated because being pregnant, I had been craving a Thanksgiving feast. That evening, Annie seemed to be doing a lot better. I ran to the grocery store about 15 minutes before closing so grab a pumpkin pie because I had been craving it. Vons was out of them (so weird, right?!) but thank goodness for Albertson's.
The kids slept good and this morning Annie is normal. Well, except for that darn cough. Mason is great. Chris and I feel like we're both getting colds/scratchy feeling throats, but I refuse to give in to getting any kind of sickness again so we'll just ignore that. So here I sit on the couch, writing this while Chris and the kids are running around at the park. An entire week at the house is kind of an odd experience. Mason had gotten completely used to it because he didn't even want to go to the park. He said he just wanted to stay home and color. Normally he begs us to go to the park. So this is good for them to get out and be normal again. Me and my lazy pregnant bones stayed home.
Despite having a rough, frustrating week, and breaking down with that pathetic pity party for myself on Thursday (which I blame on the pregnancy), I did still think about the fact that it was Thanksgiving that that I have A LOT to be thankful for. I am most thankful for my family. I am so blessed to have Chris, Mason, and Annie in my life. They make me so happy and I am so thankful to be a mom. There's nothing else I'd rather do. Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:
Post a Comment