Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Annie. . . .What a Night and What a Character

Weird night.  So Annie's had a cold for a couple days.  Came out of no where.  This evening Chris and I were commenting on how she seemed to be feeling better.  Running around talking and laughing like her normal self.  Last night she was NOT herself.  Super grumpy, on the verge of tears constantly, hard to please, etc.  Very sad.  So I was feeling good that she was getting better.  

Chris left a little after 8:00 to go shoot guns with some friends.  I had an evening of cupcake making planned.  (I've been dying to try a new cupcake recipe!)  So after Chris left, I put the kids down for bed.  Now, when my kids are sick, they often cry randomly at night.  I really wanted to take a shower but knowing Chris was gone, I knew someone would wake up crying as soon as I got in the shower, so instead I went straight to baking.  About 15 minutes into my baking....Annie started crying.  I went in to check on her just to make sure everything was ok (like her binky or blankie, which we call her "woobie", hadn't fallen on the ground or something like that).  All was fine, which was almost worse because not knowing the specific problem, I didn't actually fix anything, which made me nervous.  I tucked her in again, gave her a kiss, back rub, said good night and left.  

After about 5 minutes....more crying.  Nooooooo!  This is when I start panicking because then I start thinking something is really wrong.  She must have a stomach ache.  She did eat a lot tonight for dinner.  Maybe she pooped.  She probably still can't breathe from her cold.  What's wrong???  So I went up and changed her diaper.  No poop.  She actually seemed fine once I went in the room.  So then I started thinking that maybe she really wasn't tired and just wanted me in there with her.  Luckily Mason slept through all of this.  I went downstairs again.  

Once again, not even 5 minutes into my baking, Annie started up again.  This time, I waited.  Mason's super tired so he won't notice her crying for a bit.  I kept doing my thing, but her crying turned into full on sobbing....loud sobbing.  Times like these are when I start wishing we were in a 3 bedroom house where each of my kids could have their own room.  But shockingly, Mason was sound asleep still, thank goodness!  So I put my cream/chocolate mixture on hold and headed back in to their room.  This time, knowing nothing was seriously wrong with her, I picked her up and rocked with her in the rocker.  She was very content.  Soon, she was a little too content and started chatting away to me.  I completely ignored her and even pretended to be asleep, but that didn't stop her from having a full on conversation with herself.  I thought to myself, what the heck is going on here?  I seriously thought that me holding her and rocking her would put her to sleep immediately.  I mean, it was 9:45 PM and she's acting like it's morning time or something!  Shouldn't she be dead tired??  I kept shhhhing her and telling her it's sleepy time and she would just humor me by saying "Ok".  But soon after would be talking and tickling my neck and then asking me "dat tickles?"  I have to admit, the whole thing was pretty darn cute.  So then I adjusted myself on the rocker and the rocking chair hit the wall behind us.  Annie immediately exclaimed, "Whoa!"  I shhhhed her.  Accidentally I did it again and this time a wide eyed Annie said, "Whoa mom!  Whatwasthat?"  and giggled a bit.  I shhhhed her again. You'd think I had learned, but once again I hit the wall and this time Annie thought the whole thing was just the funniest thing in the world and was full on laughing!  I couldn't help but bust up myself.  

Realizing that me holding her was not going to put her to sleep, I put her in her crib and to avoid any more tears, I just sat in the rocker so she knew I was right next to her.  She was good with this and continued chatting away.  Suddenly I guess she was completely dehydrated and demanded some water.  After going downstairs to get her water and her gulping it all up, I lied her down for the last time in her crib and told her it was officially bed time.  After some hugs, kisses, back rubs, and after that whole 45 minute chatting/rocking session, it seemed to be good enough and she never made another peep.  Whew! I finished half of my cupcakes at about 10:45.  The other half will have to wait until tomorrow.  What a night I tell ya!  So here I sit, typing on the computer, trying to wind down for bed.  What...a...night.




No comments:

Post a Comment