No pictures today. Just a sad story. A sad, traumatizing, awful story.
So we put the kids down at 8:00 last night. At about 8:45 I heard Annie make a few sounds on the monitor. I thought, Hmmm....interesting that she is still awake. That's not normal. At about 10:50, I heard her cry a little bit but not much. We were still downstairs watching TV. We went to bed at about 11:30 and at 11:45 Annie starting really crying. It was a loud cry but only lasted about 7 seconds. Chris and I gave each other the "oh great" look in bed. 10 minutes later she started crying again and once again it only lasted about 10 seconds. Then, about 15 minutes later she started crying hard again. Something was wrong.
Chris went in there and Annie started shrieking in pain. I quickly followed him in and my heart sank when I realized what had happened. Their room had that awful strong smell of....yep, you guessed it. Poop. At this point the lights were on, Mason was up in his bunk bed asking to sleep in our room and Annie was still shrieking in obvious pain. Chris lied her on the changing table. I opened the diaper and of course it was FULL of poop and her poor little bottom was completely red and raw. I quickly realized she had been like this for almost 4 hours and I had no clue. She NEVER poops once she goes to bed. She cried about this hard at the doctors two appointments ago when she got 5 shots. Basically blood curdling screams. She was shaking with pain and I was shaking too just from listening to her. I had to wipe it all off to get her clean but I knew that every wipe felt like scratching sand paper over a painful wound. If I wasn't full of adrenaline in the heat of the moment, I know I would have been balling right along with Annie because it was so awful.
Chris had to hold her arms and body down while I changed her. I decided to put lots of baby powder on her rather than A&D ointment because I couldn't stand the thought of having to actually wipe anything on her. She was in too much pain. The baby powder fell gently on and she didn't seem to mind it. It seemed to soothe her and finally we were done. I washed up and then grabbed my baby and sat in the rocker with her. Chris grabbed Mason and brought him into our room. I think it was traumatizing for every one. Chris dimmed the light and then went to bed with Mason.
Annie and I rocked there together for at least a half hour. She clung to me with her head buried into me. Poor little thing. I looked at the clock. 12:45. We rocked a little longer. She seemed too content to be moved. Finally at about 1:00 I put her in her crib. She sat there and looked up at me. Picture the part in Shrek 2 when Puss in Boots looks up with those gigantic, adorable eyes. That's what was looking up at me. Finally she lied down and I rubbed her back and head for a long time.
She was still awake so I decided to sit in the rocker next to her crib. Not really a night I wanted to chance her "crying it out". The room was too dark to tell if her eyes were open. But she would keep lifting her head to make sure I was still there so that's how I knew she was still awake. I looked at the clock again. 1:45. Finally I saw her arm fall limply to her side. Asleep at last. I quietly went to bed. Of course something like this would happen the night before I'm teaching joy school at my house. Haha. Anyway, crazy, crazy night. So glad that's over.
Poor Annie! She is so sweet, it is hard to imagine her in pain :( What do you think she ate that upset her?
ReplyDeletethat sounds awful! poor thing. that's always my fear when our kids cry at random times in the night. that something's actually wrong. what a great mommy you are. :)
ReplyDeleteErin this is so sad! But seriously, I think everyone has done this, so don't feel bad. Charlie had super bad diaper rash a couple weeks ago and cried every time I changed him. It was the worst. :( I'm glad you gave her cuddles afterward. <3
ReplyDelete