I guess I shouldn't say "rough night #2" since it's only 11:34 PM and everything is fine now. But about an hour and a half ago, it was a rough night.
So there Chris and I were....downstairs wrapping Christmas presents and eating popcorn and drinking root beer, watching Survivor. And then we hear Mason on the monitor, crying and crying hard. I run up and ask what's wrong. In between hard sobs and loud sniffles he says something about Annie being too noisy and he didn't want to sleep in there because of it. I looked over at Annie in her crib. Sound asleep not making a peep. Hmmmm.... (I'm learning now that when Mason is sick, he says things that aren't actually true. For example, Annie being too loud for him. Obviously not true. Last time he had an ear infection, he woke up in the middle of the night crying and saying that there were too many stuffed animals in his bed and he needed them all gone immediately. Also not true-he loves his animals in bed with him.)
Anyway....so then I, not thinking that he might actually be sick, bring him into my room and tell him he can sleep in our room for just tonight but not anymore because this is mommy and daddy's room. He agreed but then when he just kept crying and crying in my arms, I thought about the fact that about 3 weeks ago he had an ear infection. He's had a bad cough that went along with it and he still has that cough. This past week I've actually thought that something might still be wrong. So I asked Mason if his ears hurt. He nodded and continued to cry.
So to make a long story short.....Chris tried talking to him upstairs and tried calming him, read books to him, prayed with him, finally brought him downstairs and after lots and lots more tears and Mason fighting the fact that he needed to take some medicine, he finally calmed down, took the medicine, and lied on the couch.
He loves back rubs and toe rubs. (Toe rubs sound funny, huh? He loves them. I love foot rubs and I think they probably feel like that. Cute.) So those finally put him to sleep on the couch. I'm sitting next to him right now and hoping he sleeps well all night. Poor little guy. He just could NOT get comfortable with his throbbing ear pain. Had to cancel joy school tomorrow that was supposed to happen at our house because we'll be taking another trip to the doc first thing in the morning for poor Mason's ears.
I had bad ear infections a lot as a child and Chris had them really bad too. He had to get actual tubes in his ears because he got them so bad and so often. I really hope that's not how Mason's going to be. Anyway....keep your fingers crossed for us that we'll all sleep tonight and we'll have no more rough nights! I'm kind of over them.

No comments:
Post a Comment