Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Favorite Things

We have a routine around here where when Mason wakes up from his nap, I go up to his room, climb up the ladder to his bunk bed, and lie down next to him.  Sometimes Annie is still napping but usually she is awake and comes up with us.  Mason loves it.  I love it too.  I know it won't be like this forever and I think about that a lot so I try to really cherish these moments.  I love our conversations.  We usually talk about what he dreamed about during that nap (which is usually green frogs and red crabs).  We also pretend that we're on a boat and that huge waves are about to crash onto us so we hold on to each other tight while the waves hit.  Sharks and jellyfish surround us and Mason saves us by smacking them out of the way.  We sing lots of songs like "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", "Bonny Bonny Banks of Loch Lomond", "The Alphabet", and many, many more.  I tell stories.  Mason's favorites are "The Three Little Pigs" and "Goldilocks and the Three Bears".  Today I made up a new one about a daddy jellyfish and his baby jellyfish and I think he really liked it because he would say "Again!" after each time I told the story, which was about 3 times I think.  Today for the first time I sang "My Favorite Things" from "The Sound of Music".  Mason was SO into it.  There is something special about that song.  I have a feeling any child would hear it and couldn't help but love it because the words of the song are...as cheesy as this sounds...magical.  So after singing that (while doing our made up hand motions to go with it) I asked Mason what some of his favorite things are.  Here is what he said:  "Hmmm...magical wands!  And cows and birdies!  And Pentaceratopses'!"  Thought that was pretty cute.  So then I told him some of my favorite things like, Annie and you (Mason) and Daddy and the beach, and our walks and jogs in the stroller, and ice cream and movies.  And then the time comes where I need to feed Annie and fix dinner so we climb off the bunk and continue on with the rest of the evening....until the next time.  :-)


    

3 comments:

  1. I love this Erin! We totally do something similar. Steve leaves while it is still dark and the kids are sleeping, so I bring both kids in bed with me while I feed Charlie in the morning. It is probably one of the cutest parts of the whole day.

    And p.s. Annie's chubby leg is the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! So sweet. My dad used to sing "My Favorite Things" if we were wearing plaid when we would drive to elementary school. He changed the words to "when I'm feeling plaid..I simply remember.." hehe it definitely is a magical song. You guys have such a darling family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you girls!! And yes, Annie's legs are quite pudgy and awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete