Saturday, December 1, 2012

Recovery: Day 4 (Thurs Night & Fri)

Last night was rough again.  This time I slept downstairs with Mason.  Mason fell asleep on the couch a little before 10:00 PM.  He took at late nap yesterday afternoon so he wasn't sleepy enough until then I guess.  Chris went to bed at that time as well.  I sat up and watched TV and didn't end up going to bed till about 1:00 AM.  Once Mason fell asleep, he tossed and turned and cried all night.  Kind of hard to sleep through so I watched TV as long as I could until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore.  Poor little guy went to bed with a really bad stomach ache.  He would wake up crying and was pretty mad.  He was sleep talking saying things like, "I don't want anymore fishies!" or "Not the elephants!" or "I don't want to!"  Sounds funny now, but at the time, it was just frustrating because it's not like there was a whole lot I could say to him other than, "Ok." or "It's ok Mason" none of which ever helped.  Often he'd wake up crying and sit up, put his hands over his face and throw his body face down into his pillow as hard as he could and just sob.  He didn't like it if I'd try to rub his back or anything, which he normally really likes.  I just had to kind of sit there.  The only thing that would make these episodes stop was if I'd say, "Mason, can I turn you on a show?"  He'd nod and then fall back asleep as soon as the show started.  One time he wanted a show but then freaked out because he said it was too bright but then when I turned it off, he freaked out even more.  Anyway, a long night to say the least.  At 4:00 AM, Chris came downstairs to give me a break.  I slept until 10:10 AM!  I would have slept longer, but Chris had to go to work.  

Chris said Mason tossed and turned and cried while he was with him as well.  At 5:00 AM he threw up and then slept pretty good.  He threw up again at 7:00 AM.  The day was a lot like the other days except worse with the eating and drinking.  He didn't eat anything all day and getting him to drink anything was almost impossible.  He'd cry but then take a sip when I told him to.  It didn't take him quite as long for him to take his medicine today and we're done with ear drops so that's good.  

We painted and colored for a little bit today which Mason really enjoyed.  My mom came over with some laundry and helped with cleaning our messy kitchen.  Annie and I bathed and I tried to get Mason to with no luck.  I'm thinking tomorrow he will finally get a bath.  At least I got him to brush his teeth.  Apparently getting your tonsils removed causes majorly bad breath.  They're not kidding.  Annie decided to really test my patience in the bath today.  Puh.  

Annie napped and Mason and I hung out on the couch.  He wasn't doing too good.  Even after taking medicine, he still cried a lot and said his throat and neck were really hurting.  Head and Neck surgery called to check on Mason and I told her what was going on.  When she heard that Mason had only a few sips of Gatorade and water since he threw up at 7:00 AM that morning, and that he was still very nauseous, she was very concerned that he had become dehydrated and told me to make an appointment with urgent care today.

He fell asleep for about 45 minutes this afternoon and woke up pretty grumpy.  Cried for probably a half hour straight.  This seems to be how he wakes up now.  He complained about his throat and tummy hurting a lot.  We tried finding something he wanted to watch on TV and forced him to drink a little.  Lots of crying.

The good new is, I randomly got him to have a few bites of a brownie this evening which was very surprising and he is eating mac and cheese right now!  Of course those things make him thirsty so he's drinking as well.  Yay!  Chris and I decided to cancel the appointment because Mason is acting so good right now.  He is drinking a lot and he ate a bunch and he says he feels really good.  No tummy ache right now and he says his throat is feeling better.  He was so excited when he heard that we aren't going to the doctor's.  He came up to me and said, "I'm going to listen to you and do what you want me to do!"  He even took his medicine happily!  So....we know things can switch in an instant.  For example, he could throw everything up.  But we're not going to think about that right now. We're going to assume things are looking up.  :) 

Annie watching Mason scarf down his mac and cheese.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment