Sunday, January 22, 2012

No More Nuts For Annie

On Friday, I took Mason and Annie to the park.  We met a friend there who was super nice and brought snacks to share with us.  One of the snacks was walnuts.  I ate a few, Mason ate a few and I gave Annie a half of a walnut.  When we got home from the park, I put Annie down for a nap first thing.  


After only about an hour, she woke up crying which was abnormal.  She usually naps for close to two hours or even longer and she always wakes up happy from naps.  So I grabbed Annie (her eyes looked puffy but I didn't really pay attention much because I assumed it was from her crying) and brought her downstairs and sat on the couch with her while we watched Mason draw.  


I put her down to go grab something and it was the first time I really looked at her since she had woken up.  Annie's face was super swollen!  Her poor eyes were so puffy!  Her lips were swollen!  It almost didn't look like Annie.  It immediately hit me that I had given her a walnut.  She had never had one before!  Then I panicked a little.  I started freaking out that maybe she was having trouble breathing.  What if her throat was swollen?!  I calmed down when I watched her and realized that she was obviously breathing fine because she was talking to Mason and acting very normal.  She was walking around just fine.  She just looked super swollen.  


So to make a long story short, we ended up at the Urgent Care in San Marcos.  Annie is allergic to walnuts and possibly all nuts.  So I have to be very careful to keep her away from them completely.  The doctor told me how the first allergic reaction to nuts is mild.  It's the second reaction that is serious and can possibly cause anaphylactic shock.  So we need to carry around an epipen with us everywhere with Annie in case something happens.  


It's scary to think that could happen and I obviously hope to death that I never have to use it.  I need to take Annie to an allergist to find out which nuts she is for sure allergic to and in the meantime keep her completely away from ALL nuts.



1 comment:

  1. So so scary!!! I hope you never have to use it either. Good to know there is something you can do about it if it happens though.

    ReplyDelete