Monday, March 21, 2011

Veggie Success!

Ok, so I'm sure every other parent out there already knows this trick, but for some reason it finally hit me last night.  There I was making taco salad for dinner, chopping up the juicy cucumbers and sweet red bell peppers when I had a brilliant idea.  
Before I get to that idea, first I need to explain that I've struggled a little bit with getting Mason to eat veggies.  He ate baby food veggies great but then once the finger foods started, he sort of wanted nothing to do with them.  Loves fruit, but vegetables...not so much.  Recently I've started buying those "ready fresh" bags of veggies you get in the frozen section at the store and Mason actually likes them.  I was very excited when I discovered them.  They are SO easy and they're cooked perfectly in the microwave and I think he likes them because they're small and colorful and bright and taste super good.  So that was a huge step when he started eating those at dinner time.  
But now back to my brilliant idea that will now help Mason eat more veggies at lunch time rather than just steamed ones at dinner time.  So there I was...and I thought, hmmm, why not put some of this yummy ranch in a little dish and chop up the cucumbers and bell peppers to a good dipping size!  I know, I know, DUH, right?!  So I put the veggies and ranch on the tray along with the rest of his meal and he absolutely loved the idea of dipping the veggies in the ranch!  Chris and I stood there shocked (hidden of course so Mason wouldn't notice) watching him pick up the peppers and cucumbers while he crunched away!  It was one of those proud parent moments I guess.  :-)  So that is my wonderful trick.  
Today at lunch, along with blue berry blast yogurt, cheddar jack string cheese, and chicken nuggets...I put some dipping ranch and mini carrots on the plate and he ate everything.  YAY!!



2 comments:

  1. I think Adelaide might be old enough to enjoy this trick... I'm going to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay-I hope it works for you!!

    ReplyDelete